The Girl has gotten a birthday dress every year since her 2nd birthday. Last year, I didn’t really make her an extra dress apart from the Elsa costume dress I made her for the comic con. She really wasn’t into wearing dresses, so I counted that her birthday make.
This year she was a little more interested and I asked her if she wanted the maxi version of the Mia top (releasing tomorrow). I thought it was cute, so I asked, and she agreed. Her only caveat was that it needed more sparkles.
Sparkles are important.
I had purchased this gold dot for a top, so I wasn’t sure I would have enough for a dress. I didn’t have enough, of course. At least I used most of the yard plus I had of this fabric. I did cut it across the grain instead of with it, like I should have done. I wanted the ombre effect of the dots. The bodice and first three tiers are dots, and the bands and bottom tier is a white on white patterned fabric.
I added ribbon to the tiered bands, and on the waist band I hand sewed on a blingy strip. It is a plastic, though bendy piece that I found in the ribbon section at Michael’s craft store. It has little rhinestones in each square section. It took me about 40 minutes to get it securely sewn on.
This is the final version of the top/dress, and it was widened a little bit. I needed to cinch up the elastic at the back for it to be more fitted on her due to that change. It was easy enough to do that.
I even made a necklace and earrings to go with it.