I like a good theme-centric project to get my wheels turning. This one was related to the intended fabric, which was inspired by the 1996 movie, The Craft. The plotline was centered around a group of girls that aspired to be witches, and luckily it was actually on Netflix so I could reacquaint myself with the plot-line.
They dress very goth-like, so that brings joy to my little inner black-clothes lover. Bonus, the fabric had red and black in it, so it was right up my alley.
I pondered several different designs, and finally settled on this one.
This is my draft of a tulip hem, 4-gore maxi skirt with some embellishments.
The back gore is cut in half, and I added a bit more swoosh into that piece.
Nope, not doing a mini skirt.
I also added to the seams a pleather bias tape that I had purchased some years back.
The Craft Roses fabric is cotton lycra and the black fabric is ponte. I wanted to integrate my rose drawing into it, so that was something I added to the side panels.
I drew a vine out and added some randomly placed roses. I added the Silhouette cut file to the Google Drive folder on the side, along with the picture of the cut file if you don’t have a Silhouette (sorry no .jpg of the thorns, since that was somehow corrupted).
I used two of the vine pieces, along with a large rose in the middle, medium roses on the ends and two small ones in the middle.
I needed a matching top, of course, so I searched Pinterest for some goth-worthy designs. So many options! I also went to the fabric store and bought pretty much every knit that was black. I love the great variety I find when I go there. I purchased some rose fabric on a 2 way stretch sheer base.
I decided to use the rose fabric for some full half sleeves and then ponte and the Craft Roses fabric for the main part. This was my own pattern draft of a princess seamed shirt. I made it at least 5 years ago, and just tweak it a bit as my sizing changes. I think this top pattern would be interesting as a dress. I might have to work on that drafting.
I messed up the neckline. It was supposed to go across the breastbone like this, and instead it is high enough to choke a person. Sooooo…I flipped it to the back, added some hardware and called it a “design feature”.
I need to paint my nails black while wearing this methinks. 😉 Midnight was not as into pictures as one would assume. 😉
The pre-order for this fabric is up at RP Custom Fabrics. Here is the order form for it. It will be open from May 20-June 7.