Ciri cosplay – Top and Pants

Another spring…another cosplay.  Today I am showing the pants and top for the Ciri cosplay.

This is Ciri from The Witcher 3.  She is a warrior.  She wears a lot of leather.

2625777-the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-ciri_1407871990_result

To start I made her pants out of a faux leather apparel fabric.  They are supposed to be leather and are cut in pieces, so I am try to keep to that aesthetic.  It also has little rivets in it.

The pleather was in a remnant pile at the fabric store.  I decided to use a basic leggings pattern that fits her, but added some ease to it. This fabric doesn’t have a ton of stretch, so I wanted to make sure it wouldn’t be to tight for her.  It was a little too tight around the ankles.  I think I will definitely be having to make her another pair for the fall.

20160507_6733

I cut the front in three pieces and added a generous seam allowance (1″).

20160310_6188 20160319_6184The theory was that the rivets would go within the seam allowance, doubling up the surface and giving it a bit more heft to hold the rivets.  I missed the seam allowance on the one side, and the rivets are loose.  The other side is much better.

20160319_6185I got the rivets from Pacific Trimmings, since they have some shallow ones.  They are 4mm, so still a little tall for this thin pleather, but better than the 10mm you will usually find.  They were a huge pain to put in.  I hole punched one side and then noticed the holes stretched a little, so some are bordering on falling out.  The other side, I just punched a hole with my exacto knife, and they held better.   I figured she would need to be a little careful with wearing these pants, and yep…some fell out.

So, yes.  I will need to make another pair for the fall.

Now on the shirt, the front is open because you must show cleavage on all women video game characters (that’s sarcasm, by the way).  I obviously wasn’t doing this for my daughters shirt.

Using a loose fitting shirt pattern, I cut the front in two pieces and made a closed placket.

20160325_6183The neck was cut a little wider than normal, then I measured the opening and drafted a curved piece for the collar.  The shorter curved edge attaches to the shirt and the wider edge gives it that outward appearance.  The collar is interfaced so it will stand up.

20160507_6682I added the ribbon on after sewing up the shirt.  It is an open channel, so I turned over the edges at the end of the placket and heat sealed the ends so it wouldn’t fray.  I used a parachute cording that I purchased at Michael’s and silver beads for the ends.

20160325_6180This is a stretch shirting, so probably part poly, part cotton.  I tea dyed it so it has less of a clean, pristine appearance.  It was pretty simple.  I just soaked it in some water that I had some tea bags in for a few hours.

There you go!  I probably won’t get pictures until I have the rest of the costume finished, which will probably be in the fall.  I will need to make some kind of cloak for my daughter, since the Renaissance Festival can be chilly.  That will be in a few months, though.  Have summer to work on now.

20160507_6685-1

5 thoughts on “Ciri cosplay – Top and Pants”

    1. I do, but…there is a bit of stress involved! 🙂 I am such a perfectionist that I try to get them as close as possible to the characters.

  1. I always think I’m a good seamstress until I see what you create! Then I realize what a ways I have to go!

    1. Oh, thanks so much! I have been sewing for over 30 years. It should give me a bit of knowledge in all that time. 😉

Comments are closed.