I am going to add yet another weekly post (OOTD being at the beginning, so not sure how weekly it will end up being). Several years back when I was largely into photography there used to be weekly and annual prompts people would follow to give themselves a creative impetus to go out and take photos.
I am going to choose a word for this year, and not only will it be a photography challenge, but a self-improvement challenge.
I don’t know about the rest of you, but as the world has gotten more connected, I have lost my focus. I know it seems like I get a lot done, but I also spend a lot of time randomly browsing the internet. This effects me at home and work when I should be focusing on more important tasks.
That is the short list of things I want to get done. I also want to clean out all the excessive crap in our house we don’t use, figure out how to do a resume after 17 years of not having done one, exercise, find some fun things to do with the family, teach the kids to cook, etc, etc… the list goes on.
I would also actually like to read. If I am productive enough in my other pursuits maybe I won’t feel like I don’t have time to read all those books piling up in my Nook and in our library.
My accomplishments this week:
Focus Photo –
This photo symbolizes the end of the holiday season with the wilting rose in this centerpiece. It was a long holiday season, but it seemed to have gone by very fast. It was full of gatherings with friends and family we don’t see often enough.
- Over the break I had cut up some items to get sewn up, so I started working on those. I really don’t need a lot of clothes right now, so there is no hurry in any of it. It is kind of nice to not have a fire drill with sewing. There have been some sewing pattern tests this week that last year, I would have likely volunteered for, but not now. I don’t need the stress.
I am participating in a 52 week sewing challenge, and next week’s challenge is to sew something from the last fabric you purchased. I had purchased a load from Nature’s Fabrics on Cyber Monday, so I am using the grey bamboo jersey in a new pattern hack. Here is my “unboxing video” of that fabric. Yes, I went there. 😉
The first week was something soft & warm, so I made two rice warmers and two flannel covers for gel ice packs for my Grandma Jo that broke her arm. Should have maybe written down the measurements I used.
- I also put together my #makenine list for the year, which is basically nine things you want to FOCUS on getting made. Perfect for my challenge for myself this year!
It is basically a push to get me to make things I have been wanting to make that I’ve had fabric for forever, or that have just been on my “I really want to make that!” list. Some will be ones I draft and some will be patterns I already own. These should all fit into my current closet pretty well.
– The first top is just a nice black knit tunic top basic that will work for so many outfits.
– The second is a Vivienne Westwood copycat. I’ve had that buffalo check for at least a year waiting on this skirt
– The third black top is a nice cross front top. Not sure if I want to do woven or a sturdy knit yet. It will be something to wear when it gets warmer with cropped pants and heels. My butt needs a lot of squats right now, so that is my camouflage.
– The fourth I already basically have cut out. It’s a little different, but I love how the buttons dress up the front. Need to order the buttons yet.
– The fifth is a pair of cream wide legged trousers that I have had the fabric for about 4 years. Need to get that made!
– Again fabric and pattern have been sitting there for a faux fur vest.
– I really love those structured bolero jackets, so I’d like to give it a shot. I also like these in knit with a hood, so maybe two versions.
– I’ve had this skirt saved for many years. I have a stock of black pleather right now and various pieces of black ponte, so time to tackle it.
– This last one is a fabric I designed and printed it at Spoonflower in satin. I originally was thinking a pencil skirt, but I am going to do a wide waistband with a slight A-line to it. It will be lined.
Now to just get these all made up before the end of the year!
House cleaning –
- Yeah, this week was a bad week to start this type of challenge. I worked until almost 7 most nights, and then we hosted a family Christmas party on Saturday. Sunday I went in to work to try to get what I needed done. The house was cleanish for the party, though!
Time with family –
- Well, we hosted a Christmas party for the hubs side of the family, so we had a lot of family time. It was a firedrill getting things ready, like usual, but it was nice to see everyone.
Health, exercising, making healthy meals –
- Exercised 0…ZERO times this week. My goal was three times on the elliptical. This is what happens when I choose the busiest time of the year at work to start a plan. Next week will be better.
- I made some healthy meals and brought salads to work for lunch 4 times this week. I also cut back on the alcohol, so baby steps.
Creative Design – Week 1
Full disclosure…I drew the Phoenix last year, but I did make the coordinate this week. I will likely be using my existing designs to create new patterns. I needed to create a new brush folder for them in Photoshop. I got a new computer in December so I somehow lost all the brushes I had made with my designs. I spent an hour making a new brush folder with the ones I could find.
This week I also made a new watermark brush pattern. I figure I should PROBABLY make it not so easy to steal my designs. The design here is one of my drawings that I warped along the text. I’m not sure if I should go with “Stylin Stacy Designs” or “StacyCK Designs” or “SCK Designs”. If I do end up going into business, I should probably pick a name…
As for Illustrator, I made sure it was loaded on my computer and opened the program. 😀
I finally finished this book this week, which I started at some point last year. It was an interesting read, and shouldn’t have really taken me that long. I am not a big non-fiction reader, but I would like to read more of that this year.
I am also working on finishing up Nevernight. I got 2/3 way through it over the holidays. It is a pretty good book about a female assassin in a fictional land of 3 suns. She’s out for revenge! He has a lot of little asides/stories/history of the land in the bottom of each page in small type, so it is taking longer than anticipated to get through it.
I have also been writing a book, but barely worked on it last year. I’d like to put more words to pages. It isn’t something I ever intend to publish, since I don’t really think I am a good enough writer. It is just a fun project for my imagination.
Week one down in the books, and I am hopeful of keeping up with this project. I know that some weeks I likely won’t, so I am prepared to give myself some grace in not getting to everything.