As part of my wardrobe capsule, I wanted to make that top…finally. After having sewn up the Sneha tunic, I decided to hack it for the top. It has a long hemline, scooping neckline and cap sleeves, so it worked well for it. I cut it to have the asymmetrical hemline.
In case you notice it, let me be the first to say that…Yes, I know the bottom of my v-neckline is a little off center. I was having some issues and finally said, “screw it…good enough!”
I just basically did an overlay and then bound the necklines.
To draft it, I took the front pattern piece and redrew it. I think I lowered the scoop a little, too. I laid that over some paper, and drew out where I wanted the keyhole to be. You have to take into account the binding that would go around the necklines. I made sure the armsyce matched and then went down about 2.0″ inches into the body.
Note that the inner shoulder is narrower. We’ll get to the “why” later.
There is about a 2.5″ difference for the keyhole.
In making it:
- I bound the underneath neckline and the bottom hem of the overlay.
- I serged all the pieces together at the shoulder seam.
- I bound the neckline. The underneath neckline at the shoulder is narrower than the top piece and the back so that it doesn’t get caught in binding the neckline.
- Lastly, you add the arms, do the side seams and hem the bottom and sleeves.
There you go. A fairly easy pattern hack and a cute top! I know I will make more…just need some more sewing time!