So, yeah…not quite sure what to call this thing. I have a similar style shirt in a knit that I purchased. It is black and knit and is a great layering piece. I copied the lines of that shirt, with some additions after seeing this CAbi shirt-jacket:
It really is a nice piece. It is a heavy knit with pockets, detailed cuts and lace overlays. It didn’t fit me exactly as I would like, and oh yeah…it was $148. I’m not saying that it wasn’t worth around $100, but I’d rather not pay for something I can make that will actually fit my body.
I decided to do this moto-style with a heavy cream knit, cream stretch twill, and cream stretch lace. Three different fabrics.
Body: I started out using the pattern I drafted for this princess-seamed shirt, only with some more room as I have put on some weight this winter. I added too much room to the back, unfortunately. The front middle piece I drew out the moto-style overlay and cut two pieces.
Arm: I used an arm from another pattern. The arm was knit, so it was pretty close to the fit I needed. I did cuffs with the stretch twill and lace overlay.
Neckline: I measured out the length of the neckline and then cut the knit that length, and so it would be 8 inches wide when folded.
Back yoke: The back panel overlay I cut after I assembled the back, so it would be the right size.
Yes, another hodge-podged pattern!
I excel at throwing things together and not having any pattern pieces to show afterwards. You know…just in case I actually want to make things again. Good thing I write things down for this blog. 🙂
I had to figure out how I wanted to fix the back, as it was too wide. I could have done a few different things: Do a seam down the middle of the back and take out the excess there, shirr the back with elastic thread, add a casing with thin elastic in it, add a tie, or add a piece of fabric in the side seams to bring it in.
I decided to make some twill tape into a casing with some elastic inside it. I did this on the inside of the jacket.
On my RTW item, there was a zipper. Unfortunately, I did not have a cream seperating zipper, and the roads were absolutely horrible so I was not going to the fabric store. Instead, I chose to put in some big snaps.
Learn from me…interface the fabric under the snaps. This was stretchy fabric, so the prongs pull out when they are pulled apart. I have had to reset the snaps.
Overall, I am pretty pleased with this little jacket, and hope to make more of them!