Well, by her anyways.
I tested for this dress for Simple Life Pattern Company, since she needed a size 10 tester. I want to try to use up some of my quilting cotton stash that is just sitting there in my fabric closet, so I figured this would go into the Dress A Girl Around the World charity pile. One lucky little girl in Africa will get to wear this pretty dress.
This was the first version, where I made the top too narrow (did the overlap too much).
The first one was a pretty quick sew, and she did the bodice like how I prefer to do these types of lined bodices.
Here is the second version of the dress, whereby I made it correctly, AND is has the pieced skirt. It fits a little wide, since I used the size 10 width. If I knew she would wear it, I would have done an 8W 10L. This will also go to Dress A Girl Around the World.
For this version, you need to be pretty spot on with the seam allowances. I wasn’t, and I had too much skirt for bodice. I had to stretch the bodice to get the rest to work.
Before I send it off, I will iron the lapel up a bit, as it seems too low here. I will also add a few snaps to the lapel to keep it closed better.
A small modification I made to the sash was with the elastic. In the pattern, she has you put just a row of elastic in, and it makes the back of the sash look ruffled. I wanted a cleaner look, so I sewed a line down the center, creating two channels for elastic. I used 1″ elastic in both channels and closed it up.
She looks awfully pretty in the dress, but alas, she just has no interest in wearing dresses. She does like wearing skorts in the summertime, at least, so I have that going for me!