Here is the outfit that I posted over on Craftingcon.com for their wearable Steampunk challenge. I thought I had already put it up over here, but guess not!
I ended up using some pieces that I had previously made this year, along with some new multi-purpose pieces.
The first piece in her outfit is a skirt I made in the fall. Bustled skirts really do seem to fit the Steampunk theme. I will write up a tutorial on how to make this type of skirt. Adding it to the long, long list that I don’t have time for right now.
Next piece is the leather corset, which is also part of her Ciri cosplay. Corsets show up quite a bit in the steampunk pictures I looked at online. I made a tutorial on how to make this, as well, which is here on my blog.
Underneath, there is a plain raglan sleeved peasant blouse in cream knit (which you can’t see, but was needed!). I had made it a few years ago to go with her gypsy outfit for the Renaissance Faire. It matched and still fit, so there you go. It was an Ottobre pattern.
Now onto a piece I made specifically for this challenge, which is the steampunk jacket. I drafted this jacket, and the first version was a bit too tight on her. I needed to add some room to the princess seams and the armsyce.
I took pattern pieces I had drafted for a fitted top, and then added width to them, along with a larger opening for the arms. The arm pattern was slashed and spread at the top for the fun puffed sleeve. I drafted a collar and then the front had some snaps with leather to finish it off.
She was pretty excited to wear it, and it turned out very Steampunk looking. Just a really fun outfit to wear!