So, I thought to myself, “I got this! I am going to use a pattern block I know fits and just modify it for this dress. No problem!”
Guess what? Problem!
I had to redo the neckline and armholes so many times on this. The neckline is still too high, though. Maybe on my next one I will get it right. (IF I do a next one)
I used a stretch woven (leftovers from this outfit) to make the top part of this dress. This is a really nice stretch woven, and I wanted to make use of the leftover bits. The knit part is a jersey knit, which has a great drape, but not great stretch to it. It was a bit of a bear in using it for the bindings. I need to re-figure how I do the neckline. This mess is not working for my sewing perfectionist self, but by the time I got this far, I was basically like f#$% it!
I had scraps left of the jersey after cutting the skirt (I had to cut the skirt in two pieces due to not enough fabric to cut on the fold. I added some of the extra pieces to give it some more interest, and to just use up the fabric so it wasn’t just sitting there looking forlorn and unused. I also added some of the extra stretch woven.
I had to redo both. The jersey wasn’t cut on enough of a curve to drape correctly and the stretch woven looked skewed to one side. I took that off.
Here is what the final version looks like when worn. Not a perfect muslin, but it will be worn!
It does make me look a bit top heavy. I really did know better than having such a light color up there with the rest dark. Oh well.
We’ll see how much wear I get out of it this summer. If it doesn’t get worn…into the giveaway pile it will go!