#MakeNine Challenge – Ponte and Pleather skirt

I got another of my #makenine challenges completed, and it was this skirt that I have been coveting for several years on Pinterest.

I wanted to wear it to work, so that length wasn’t quite going to work for me.  I made it longer, but I think I may take the waist off and shave off a few inches.  I think I made it a little too long.

Still…love it!

Here are the pattern pieces.  I did two full fronts and backs and then the overlay that has the front angled down and longer.  I ended up shaving off a bit on the underside piece so it was easier to walk in, and so there was less bulk at that side seam.

I also attached the overlay to the side seam and not the waist.  I figured it would lay flatter that way.

I used a heavy ponte from Joann’s and a pleather scuba knit that I either got at Joann’s or from fabric.com.  Can’t remember which.

I do think that I could have done the hem differently.  My PLAN was to line the bottoms and then understitch the hem, but my lining was too flimsy.  I had to do a visible hem.  I like the cleaner look of the original skirt, though.

I am wearing it here with some RTW.  I love how this CAbi jacket looks, with the hourglass type of silhouette it creates.  Something to maybe recreate in the future.

TWO items off my #makenine list…seven more to go!

Military inspired hoodie

I have been meaning to tackle another of these hoodie jackets since I made the first one.  Knowing how long it was going to take definitely made my hold off on it, though.  I ended up putting it in my #makenine challenge so I was sure to get it done!

I also saw this jacket on Pinterest and decided that I needed to steer my hoodie in that direction.

I was already planning on a navy and black one (bamboo fleece from Nature’s Fabrics), so it would work well with jeans and leggings, either blue or black.  I did this one pretty similar to the first one, except for omitting the back yoke, slimmed the sides a bit, and moved the location of the pockets and the lacing.  I should have kept them where they were before, in hindsight.

The pockets hit in a bad spot on the hips and then the lacing is pulling them open.  Le *sigh*.  We’ll see how much it irritates me before pulling out all the stitching.

These were the pattern pieces from the first one, so here were the main pieces (omitting the yoke).

It isn’t so much the many pieces that make this a pain, it is more that you need to use the sewing machine to place many of the pieces and the topstitching.  You are sewing seams several times at this pace.  Plus how I have the neckline is very confusing, so if I were to make this again (or make it into a pattern for sale) then changes would need to be made.

The back detail is created by taking a 6″ piece of pleather, marking for the eyelets, using a hole punch for the holes, and placing the eyelets.  I have an eyelet crimper that works pretty well.  The lacing is elastic, since it is more comfortable.

I ordered the zipper and buttons from Pacific Trimmings.  The zipper is really nice quality, and I ordered several types of metal buttons.  I think a post button that I ordered would have looked nicer, but it would have stuck up too much.  This sit nice and flat.

The front is partially lined and all seams enclosed, which is something I generally like to do for my clothes.

The pants are a ponte with lycra and are my straight leg leggings pattern.  So comfy!

Overall a pretty fun and comfy outfit for the first of my #makenine challenge.