When I was thinking about my wardrobe capsule, I wanted to use what I had in my fabric stash. This was not hard, as I have a lot.
I have been drawn to lighter colors these days, so I took out my creamy neutrals and started planning the individual pieces I was going to make. The biggest impetus was that I needed TOPS. This is something lacking in my spring and summer wardrobe.
I still wanted them to have a little edginess to them, so I also added in some leather and faux leather that I have in my fabric stash. All these different elements pull together into a fairly cohesive mix and match grouping.
Here it is…the finished Wardrobe in a “Week” capsule. I may or may not have watched some project runway before embarking on my sewing. I think you will notice that not all of these were easy projects.
I was able to complete the wardrobe capsule in about a week and a half. I changed things up as I started cutting, and noting just what I wanted and needed to make. I sewed pretty much all weekend for the first weekend, and then made the rest at night after the kids hit the hay. I was burning the midnight oil, and so happy to be done with this wardrobe.
Here was my original soduko.
I decided to make some changes, so I added two dresses, and then I couldn’t figure out how to make the soduko work. Well, then I needed to redo some parts and so, yes…it totally changed, and ended up being more than just the original 9 pieces.
Here is my completed capsule, but I also have an add on capsule that includes dresses.
What I made in summary:
- Cream rayon dress, modified Ravenna pattern
- Cream poly knit dress, self drafted
- Stone maxi skirt, self drafted
- Animal print and cream pencil skirt (bottom-weight woven with lycra), self drafted
- Green silk handkerchief hem skirt, self drafted
- Dark denim jeggings, self-drafted
- Green yoked knit top, self-drafted
- Brown yoked knit top with a faux leather exterior yoke piece, self-drafted
- Cream poly knit and rayon top, self drafted
- Stone keyhole top, modified Sneha pattern
- Cream knit and pigskin vest, self drafted
- Brown and cream double knit cardigan, self drafted
And I also made this belt:
I love it.
Here they are worn (click to see them bigger). In the next week I will start posting on how each pieces was made, relevant patterns or tutorials, and any issues I encountered. I have to fix the cream vest I made, since it appears to be too large. The green skirt will need to be taken in a bit, too. I will get to eventually, and then get some better pictures of those pieces.
The accessories finished off the looks. I have no shortage of accessories.
I have a feeling that once Me Made May hits…I will be all set!
I had been wanting to get these pieces made for quite awhile, so I am really glad that this challenge came up to push me into getting them completed. I know that I won’t have much time to sew once summer hits, so some of these posts might be months in the making by the time I get them done. I sewed up a lot of pieces and most of them were self-drafted. I am going to try to explain my process in how I went about designing and drafting them.
If you can call it a “process”.
Now that these are done…I have a dance costume that I have been procrastinating making. There’s a sweet little girl and expects to be rocking lime green in a few weeks, and I need to get that made!
If you want to see the posts on the capsule when I get them made, just look over to the left and subscribe by e-mail. Once they post, you will get them in your e-mail box. You can unsubscribe at any time if you find me annoying. 😉